April has been designated as Sexually Transmitted Diseases Month and Fantasy Gifts NJ is committed to raising awareness. Sexually transmitted diseases are an infection transmitted through sexual contact caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites. But you don’t need to have traditional intercourse to contract a STD. Any oral sex, anal sex or mutual masturbation can transmit a STD. And condoms are not 100% effective at preventing them.
The most common types of STD’s are:
- Human papillomavirus infection: An infection that causes warts in various parts of the body, depending on the strain.
- Genital herpes: A common sexually transmitted infection marked by genital pain and sores.
- Chlamydia: A common sexually transmitted infection that may not cause symptoms.
- Gonorrhea: A sexually transmitted bacterial infection that, if untreated, may cause infertility.
- HIV/AIDS: HIV causes AIDS and interferes with the body’s ability to fight infections.
- Syphilis: A bacterial infection usually spread by sexual contact that starts as a painless sore.
Your three best methods for protecting yourself against STD’s are:
- Know yourself and your partner. Get tested regularly
- Use a condom
- Practice abstinence if you are unsure about the status of yourself or your partner